September flew past for me like a whirlwind. So much new things that I learned so here’s my monthly overview of all the new and updated VMware flings. There are three new ones with the DRS Dump Insight H5 Plugin, Workspace One Configuration Tool for provisioning and the Horizon Session Recording. Four have received updates: ESXi Compatibility Checker, HCIBench, vRealize Operations REST Notifications and but not least the SDDC Certificate tool. It’s also one of the few months where the HTML5 Client didn’t get an update.
[sta_anchor id=”horizonrecording” unsan=”HorizonRecording” /]
Horizon Session Recording
VMware Horizon Session Recording allows administrators of a VMware Horizon environment record their users activity in their Blast Extreme virtual desktop and application sessions.
With Session Recording, the administrator can choose to record local or remote sessions, to a central recording Server where the administrator can watch the recordings back via a HTML 5 web console integrated into the server.
The Session Recordings are stored as MP4 files for watching via the web console or downloading to play in a local player.
The VMware Horizon Session Recording Fling comprises of two components:
- A Central Recording Repository + Web Front End
- The Agent to be installed in the virtual desktop or RDSH host template which facilitates the recording.
Today VMware Horizon Session Recording supports Windows Server 2016 as the Central Server along with Windows 7, 10, Server 2012 and Server 2016 on the agent.
[sta_anchor id=”drsinsight” /]
DRS Dump Insight H5 Plugin
The DRS Dump Insight H5 Plugin helps answer simple questions like
- “Can I get all the recommendations made by DRS?”
- “Why did DRS make a certain recommendation?”
- “Why is DRS not making any recommendations to balance my cluster?”
- “How is my custom affinity/anti-affinity rule affecting load balancing in my cluster?”
- “If I have a policy defined in my cluster, how different would DRS load balancing be?”
When diagnosing Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) cluster issues in vSphere, we look at vCenter server logs from the support bundle, including DrmDump files to find any clues. Analyzing DrmDumps is a slow and tedious process, is usually done by VMware support or Engineering teams for advanced debugging of algorithm related issues. This is because analyzing the dumps requires building a replayer module, for which one needs access to the source code. Another challenge is that the final DrmDump data is not in plain text format; it requires someone with an understanding of the source code to be able to make good sense of it.
There is an existing DRS Dump Insight fling, which can replay DrmDumps and provide useful information for debugging. However, Dump Insight requires users to manually upload relevant DrmDump files from the time when the issue occurred. With the DRS Dump Insight H5 Plugin, customers do not need to upload any DrmDump files, and can access all the anal yzed information from their vSphere HTML5 web client itself.
- Once a customer installs the HTML5 plugin, a new DRS Dump Insight tab will be available under the “cluster -> monitor” view.
- All the DrmDump files that are available for the given cluster are listed in the opening screen. Customers can select the dump file of their choice for analysis.
- They can also select multiple dump files to be analyzed together.
- After analysis, the tool shows the analysis for each dump file in a separate tab view.
[sta_anchor id=”wsoneconfig” /]
Workspace ONE Configuration Tool for Provisioning
The Workspace ONE Configuration Tool helps you build special-purpose unattend.xml configuration files to be applied in the Dell factory as part of Factory Provisioning. This helps to domain join (domain, workgroup, AAD, AAD Premium) and enroll devices automatically on first-boot. This simplifies the creation of the unattend.xml configuration file for Windows 10.
- It’s a stand-alone .exe app that helps IT administrators configure general and Out-of-the-Box Experience Windows setups to automatically enroll users in Workspace ONE.
- The User Interface is made simple with explicit instructions about each field for easy and quick use by IT admins.
- The User Interface has dynamic and efficient validations in Clarity and Angular, preventing the user from building the unattend.xml until all the validations are correctly satisfied.
- This makes the UI fool-proof and reduces the chances of generating an invalid xml file.
- The tool is made as a .Net Core 2.0 web app with Angular 5 and Clarity, which eases the integration of v2.0 into the AirWatch Console.
[sta_anchor id=”esxicompcheck” /]
ESXi Compatibility Checker
- Fixed bugs
[sta_anchor id=”hcibench” /]
- Enhanced write/read buffer/cache methodology
- Fixed network ip-prefix selection issue
- Fixed 95% percentile calculation issue
[sta_anchor id=”vropsrest” /]
vRealize Operations REST Notifications Helper
- Changed the line endings in text files from Win to Unix
- The new version of imset.jar
- Updated properties file (imset.properties)
- A new configuration file example (slack.json)
- New version release notes (v1.1_notes.pdf)
[sta_anchor id=”sddccert” /]
SDDC Certificate Tool
The SDDC Certificate Tool is your one stop shop to replace all the certificates in a range of VMware Products: vSphere,NSX,vRLI,vROps etc.
1.0.1 – Build 10253169
- Spring Frameworks updated to version 4.3.19 due to security vulnerability